Mon - Fri: 9am - 6pm

Contact Us

Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

Canada has one of the best and most respected education systems in the world. Every year, thousands of students from other countries pursue their educational goals in Canada. With new ways to gain valuable Canadian work experience during and after your studies, the advantages of studying in Canada are great. There are also permanent immigration options for international students who have graduated from post-secondary programs in Canada.

You Will Need A Study Permit

If you wish to take academic, professional or vocational training at a university, college, or other educational institution in Canada, you will need a study permit before you enter Canada. There are a few exceptions to this rule. For example, you do not need a study permit if you are enrolling in a short-term course or program of six months or less duration. However, if you think you might study for more than six months, it is advisable to obtain a study permit before you arrive in Canada.

Choose A Canadian School, College Or University

Before you can apply for a study permit, you must be accepted at a Canadian educational institution. In Canada, each province or territory manages its own education system. Different provinces and territories have different options and services for students.

Note: Some private institutions, such as career colleges and language schools, are not regulated by the government.

Once you have chosen a place to study, you will need to apply for admission. Before applying, it is always advisable to find the admission requirements for a desired program and an institution. These requirements generally involve credits or percentage earned in the previous education history. A must requirement is to have the language proficiency scores; which can be assessed by various International language tests. IELTS mainly conducts language proficiency test through a set pattern of Bands from 1-9. Different institutions accept students according to their own IELTS band score requirements. Generally most of the community colleges accepts a minimum of Band 5.5 in each module and overall of 6.0 for undergraduate programs and a minimum of Band 6.0 in each module and overall of 6.5 for graduate courses. However, Universities have higher band requirement of overall 7.0 and not less than 6.5 in each module. If the school admits you as a student, it will send you a letter of acceptance. You need this letter in order to apply for a study permit. Please note that if you apply to study in the province of Quebec, the requirements are different.

Apply For A Study Permit

You must apply for a study permit from outside Canada, at the visa office responsible for the country or region where you reside. Many visa offices have specific local instructions about which documents you must submit with your application.

You must include, as a minimum:

  • Your letter of acceptance;
  • Proof of your identity; and
  • Proof that you have sufficient funds for your stay in Canada.

Letter Of Acceptance

You must include the original letter of acceptance you received from the educational institution you plan to study in Canada. This is to prove that you have been accepted by an educational institution in Canada.

Proof of Funds

You must also include proof that you have sufficient funds for your stay in Canada. This includes money for:

  • tuition fees;
  • living expenses for you and any family member coming to Canada with you; and
  • return transportation for you and your family.

For information about tuition fee estimates, cost of living in Canada’s provinces, study permits and scholarships in Canada, visit www.educationau-incanada.ca.

Other Information About Study Permits

You may be asked to provide additional documents. In most cases, you and any family member coming to Canada with you will need a medical examination. You and any family member who is 18 or over may also need a security check. The visa office may ask to interview you as part of the process. If your application is approved, you will receive a letter of introduction confirming the approval. This is not your study permit, but it is proof that your application has been approved. You will need to bring this letter to Canada with you in order to obtain your study permit upon entering. Depending on your citizenship or where you reside, you may also need a temporary resident visa to enter Canada.

Obtaining Your Study Permit

When you arrive in Canada, you will meet an officer of Canada Border Services Agency.

You will need to show the officer:

  • your letter of introduction from the visa office;
  • your passport or other valid travel documents;
  • the letter of acceptance from the school you will be attending;
  • proof of funds documents; and
  • your temporary resident visa, if required.

If you meet all the necessary conditions, the officer will give you a study permit.

Note: Canada Border Services Agency officers make the final decision on whether you will receive a study permit, based on Canadian law.

Renewing Your Study Permit

You can apply to renew your study permit if you want to study longer. It is important to apply well before your current permit expires to ensure your permit remains valid.

Extend Study Permit Status / Stay / Record

When an applicant approaches port of entry in Canada, the CBSA officer examines his or her travel document/passport, an adhesive sticker, and permits the person to enter Canada. The CBSA officer stamps his or her travel document/passport and hands over a status document named as study permit. This documents entails the duration of his or her study permit. If an applicant wants to extend his or her permit to study in Canada, he or she will have to submit an application for extension of study permit. Generally, a 30-day period is recommended by IRRC before the expiry of the status granted.

Work In Canada During And After Your Studies

You and your spouse or common-law partner may be able to work while you study and after graduation through a number of work permit programs for international students. Working in Canada can provide a source of income while you study, give you valuable work experience, help you make business contacts for the future, and even allow you to immigrate after your graduation.

Working While You Study In Canada

You and your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to work temporarily in Canada while you study. You may also be able to gain Canadian work experience after you graduate.

Working On Campus

If you have a valid study permit, you may be able to work on the campus of the institution you attend without a work permit. You can work for the institution itself, or for a private business located on the campus. To do this, you must be a full-time student at a public university, a community college, a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP), a publicly funded trade or technical school or a private institution authorized to confer degrees.

Working Off Campus

To work off campus, you must have a work permit. Through the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, you can work part-time during regular academic sessions (20 hours per week) and full-time (40 hours per week) during scheduled breaks, such as winter and summer holidays, and spring break. You can work in any occupation, and you can change employers whenever you like. To qualify for the program, you must have a valid study permit and be a full-time student at a recognized post-secondary educational institution. Recognized institutions generally include a public, post-secondary college or university, a CEGEP in Quebec and degree-granting programs offered by private institutions.

Co-op And Internship Programs

If you are in a program with a work experience component, such as a co-op or internship placement, you will need a work permit as well as a study permit. To get a work permit, you must prove that the work experience is essential to completing your program. Acceptable proof could include a letter from the school you are attending or a copy of the school curriculum. The work experience cannot be more than 50% of your total program of study.

Working After Graduation

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows you to gain valuable Canadian work experience after you have completed your studies in Canada. This can help you apply to become a permanent resident of Canada. To qualify, you must have graduated from a public or private institution that grants degrees recognized by the province or territory. These institutions may include a university, college or CEGEP. Work permits under this program are valid for the length of your study program, up to a maximum of three years. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for eight months. You must apply for a post-graduation work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from your educational institution that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program. With this permit, you can work in any occupation and change employers anytime you wish.

Work Permits For Spouses Of Students

If you are a full-time student at a recognized post-secondary institution, and you have a valid study permit, your spouse or common-law partner can apply for a permit to work in Canada. As long as they have a work permit, they can work in any occupation and change jobs at any time. These permits are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

Staying In Canada Permanently

If you want to make Canada your permanent home, there are a number of ways to apply. In most cases, you will not need to leave Canada.

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class makes it easier and more convenient for international students to apply for permanent resident status in Canada. If you have graduated from a post-secondary program at an eligible institution in Canada, and you have at least one year of work experience in Canada in a managerial, professional, and technical or trade occupation after graduation, you may be eligible.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program

If you have skills and experience that meet Canada’s labour market needs, you may qualify for permanent resident status in Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Program. The province of Quebec is responsible for selecting its own skilled workers.

Provincial Nominee Program

Most Canadian provinces and territories have agreements with the federal government that allow them to nominate immigrants who have the skills, education, and work experience needed to meet their specific economic and labour market needs. One of the standard requirements is that applicants must intend to settle in the province that nominates them. To qualify, you must apply to the province or territory where you wish to settle and complete its nomination process. Each province or territory has its own requirements and application process. If your application is accepted by the province or territory, you must apply separately to IRCC for permanent residence. An IRCC officer will then assess your application based on Canadian immigration regulations.

Entering Canada- The Basic Requirements

Everyone must meet basic requirements to come to Canada. For example, you must not pose a threat to the health, safety or security of Canada. Any record of criminal activity could prevent you from being allowed to come to Canada. You also must not provide false information or fraudulent documentation, or withhold information that could be related to your application.

See All Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Visit Our Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the globe.

Get Started

Book An Appointment Today!