Close relatives of a Canadian citizen or a Canadian permanent resident. More particularly, to qualify under the Family Sponsorship category, the Sponsored person(s) must be related to the Canadian Sponsor in one of the following ways:
- Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner; or
- Parent or grandparent; or
- Dependent child; or
- Orphaned, unmarried, and under 18 years of age brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild; or
- Intended adopted child under 18 years of age; or
- One other relative, if the sponsor has no relative listed above and no relatives who are Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents [IRPR 117(1)(h)].