Mon - Fri: 9am - 6pm

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to submit a study permit application?

No. You do not need to provide proof of English ability in a study permit application. You may, however, need to submit proof of language ability in order to gain acceptance to a Canadian school.

Do I need to do a medical exam?

You will need to do a medical exam if (a) you plan to remain in Canada for more than six months and (b) you lived for six or more consecutive months in a country or territory designated as high risk for certain diseases during the year immediately before the date you want to enter Canada.

What happens next if my study permit is refused?

If your application is refused, you have two options. You can either re-apply with a fresh application or you can challenge the decision of the officer in the federal court for a judicial review. Submitting a fresh application might be faster than challenging the decision in federal court. Furthermore, you could also try to request for reconsideration before going for a judicial review.

Can I stay in Canada after graduation?

If you studied full-time at a qualifying school for at least 8 months, you can apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit within 90 days of receiving your final marks. Your study permit must be valid at the time of your application. The PGWP is issued for the same duration as your studies, but for a minimum of 8 months and a maximum of 3 years.

As an international student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

  • A valid passport or travel document;
  • A valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada;
  • A valid visitor visa, if you are a citizen of a visa-required country;
  • An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) by March 15, 2016 if you are from an eTA-required country and received your student permit before August 1, 2015 and you plan to travel from and return to Canada by air. Note: Students who get their study or work permit on or after August 1, 2015 will automatically be issued an eTA along with their permit.

You must re-apply for a temporary resident visa (visitor visa) if:

  • Your visa has expired; or
  • Your visa was only valid for a single entry to Canada.

Apply for a visitor visa at a Canadian visa office located outside Canada, or if you are in Canada and hold a valid study permit or work permit you may apply for a new visa at Case Processing Centre in Ottawa, Ontario. For further information, contact us.