Mon - Fri: 9am - 6pm

Contact Us

FAQ Visitor Visa Applications

How do I help a family member or friend apply to visit Canada?

Anyone who visits Canada must apply from outside the country. Your friend or family member must first find out if they need an eTA or a visa. If they need an eTA, they can apply online. If they need a visa they can apply online or on paper. A visa officer will review the application and decide whether to issue a visa. You may provide your family member or friend a letter of invitation in support of their visa application. It should explain how you will help the person. For example, you may offer to pay for plane tickets or accommodation. A letter of invitation can help, but it does not guarantee the person will get a visa.

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to Canada. This regulation becomes mandatory March 15, 2016. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. It will allow Canada to screen travellers before they arrive. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. You will need your passport, a credit card (Visa or MasterCard), and email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA. It will be valid for up to five years.

How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor?

border services officer at the port of entry in Canada will determine how long you can stay in Canada. Most visitors are allowed a six-month stay from the day they entered Canada. If the officer authorizes a stay of less than six months, they will indicate in your passport the date by which you must leave Canada. If you want to stay longer than your authorized stay, you should apply for an extension at least 30 days before the authorized end of your stay.

Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?

Yes, you will still need a Canadian visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada if you are from a visa-required country. A visa from the United States does not permit entry to Canada.

I have U.S. residency (Green Card). Do I need a visa or an eTA to visit Canada or can I use my Green Card?

As a U.S. Green Card holder, you do not need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. However, starting March 15, 2016, you will need an eTA if you plan to fly to Canada. At the Canadian border, you will need to present:

  • Your Green Card, and
  • Your valid passport.
  • If you travel by air, the border services officer will also verify your eTA.

Why was I issued a single entry visa instead of a multiple entry visa?

All applicants who are eligible for a multiple entry visa will be issued one. However, not all applicants will be eligible for a multiple entry visa. This remains at the discretion of a visa officer. A single entry visa may be issued in cases where, for example:

  • An applicant is eligible for a fee-exemption and where the purpose of entry to Canada is limited (e.g., for an official visit by a foreign national);
  • An applicant is participating in a one-time special event in Canada (e.g., Pan-American Games); and/or
  • Country-specific procedures or guidelines are in place and approved by IRCC.

If I get sick or have an accident while visiting Canada, will the Government of Canada pay for my medical treatment?

Canada does not pay for hospital or medical services for visitors. You should get health insurance to cover any medical costs before you come to Canada. For further information, contact us.